Monday, December 22, 2014

Why Do We Farm?

Why Do We Farm?



This question comes up alot. People are always asking, "Why do you farm?" and, "Whats the point? Seriously, just go buy eggs at the grocery store! And save yourself a load of work!" You've all heard it at one point or another. Well, this post will tell y'all why we do, what we do. 

The questions a simply one, and likewise, so is the answer. 

Because we love it.

Now, I'll be the first to admit that dragging yourself out of your warm bed first thing in the morning, slipping into your well worn barn clothes and a pair of old boots, and heading out into the cold to feed critters, is sometimes not as pleasant as one would wish, but that's life.

In today's society, the standard way of life for most folks, seems to be a fast-paced goal, of chasing after the American 'dream'. 

It makes me sad that people nowadays, don't appreciate the simply things in life, the everyday blessings. I feel that people who live out in the country, closer to God's nature, learn to appreciate the simply blessings of every day life, and find peace and joy in the simply tasks of their lifestyle. 

Nobody ever said farming would make you rich, but to be honest, I never want to be rich, at least, not in that way. I want to be rich in memories, in family, and in a lifestyle that gives glory to God. 
I'm not saying if you live in town, you can't ever experience any of these things, but rather, farmers, tend to come by them easier.

Going out to check on your chickens, and finding a freshly laid egg, that's still warm, is one of those moments when you know exactly why you do, what you do. Or squeezing warm milk out of an udder and hearing it splash into the bucket, it doesn't get any better than that folks! 
Sure farming, homesteading, country life, or whatever you want to call it, isn't easy, but it's worth it, and it makes you stop and appreciate the little things in life.

Farmers work hard to grow their own food, raise their own meat, eggs, milk, etc. And they appreciate it far more than they would if they went to the store and bought it. 

So, next time you see a farmer (or me) barefoot, covered in hay, chicken poop, and mud, carrying a handful of eggs..don't judge. They're doing what they love!


Blessings - 

~ Aspen

 

4 comments:

  1. Aw, lovely! I'm hoping to be able to homestead once I settle down into married life. :) This post reminded me about a project Beck Hybrids did, that my work featured on our web site a few months ago:

    http://www.beckshybrids.com/Blog/ArtMID/841/ArticleID/6/Why-I-Farm-Behind-the-Movement-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kira, I'm sure you'll be wonderful at it! I've only stuck my foot in the water myself, but once I do the same (get married and settled down) I tend on jumping onto the bandwagon all the way. :)

      Blessings -

      ~ Aspen

      Delete
  2. Amen to that. There is nothing like being a farmer and feeling the sadness, joy, love, and tragedy that God created in this proffession. Me heart would not be the same if I wasn't a farmer. :) Kudos to us, my friends. :)
    ~Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. True words Aspen,- great post- Hope you had a wonderful Christmas and a blessed New Year!

    ReplyDelete