Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Midnight Madness

Midnight Madness

picture from Google

I woke up in the wee hours of the morning and silently felt my way to the bathroom and turned on the light. All was silent...but wait..what is that noise on the back porch? Something is banging on the metal signs I have laid over the buckets of chicken feed. I bet it's a rat. I dash back to my room, blindly take my phone off it's charger and race back to the bathroom. I silently breathe,"3,2,1..." and jerk back the curtain over the window to see.....a racoon rear-end.

He'd found my bucket of fermented chicken feed on the back-porch, and was slung over the side of the bucket, using his hands to gobble it up just as fast as he could. I shut the curtain and poke my head through Mom & Dad's door, "Dad...Dad..." No response. "DAD!! There's a coon on the back-porch!!" He sleepily comes out and together we pull the shotgun out of my room (yes, I have a shotgun by my bed...) and head to the back door. I get ready with the light as he loads the gun and we prepare to burst out the door and take down the bandit-striped intruder.
We quickly open the door and turn on the porch light, but before we can even get a foot out the door the coon's gone in a flash and out into the night. We ran after him, but he got away. The next morning I found coon tracks all around the turkey house...sucker. We'll get ya next time!

What about you, have you ever had any midnight escapades? 

Blessings - 

~ Aspen 

4 comments:

  1. To answer your question, yes, we have. There is a bobcat that likes to hang around our back porch and harass our cats. Thank goodness he get frightened away when mom and dad bang on the windows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness! Bobcats can be quite the pest when you have other small animals that are just the right size for a meal. I remember once summer a mother bobcat and one of our cats killed and ate over 70 chickens. Yep, they are a foe to be reckoned with to be sure!

      Blessings -

      ~ Aspen

      Delete
  2. Why not get a trap or catch him in a homemade bucket trap and drive off with him to another place- in some woods perhaps? I like raccoons, they are very clean and they're the Tennessee state mammal. Right now they are having babies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We set a live trap several nights in a row, but so far he hasn't come back. Racoons really are adorable and energetic creatures, but they can be very bothersome. ;)

      Blessings -

      ~ Aspen

      Delete