Monday, January 25, 2016

Miracle Turkey

Miracle Turkey 
 

Several weeks ago, we had a monstrously cold, snowy blizzard. 
 Thankfully we had a few days forewarning and I was able to clean pens, put down fresh bedding and get everyone ready for the snow that was to come.

I was barely outside except for mad dashes I made to the barn to throw food to everyone and check on them. Other than that I burrowed up inside, read books and sat by the fire and was a contented, happy little hibernated lark.

After the blizzard started to move out, I head counted my birds and noticed that I was missing a turkey hen. Oh dear. 
I knew my turkey girls, especially one of them was very adventurous and constantly flew the coop to explore around the house pasture. With all the snow on the ground still and predators out hunting I feared that she had gotten killed. I knew coyotes and other varmints came up very close to the house and could have easily taken her. I said a silent prayer that she would return unhurt and went about my chores.

A week or more later, my girl was still missing and I knew for certain that she was gone for good. 
A day or so after that I was outside finishing up my chores and the thought popped into my head that I should clean out inside my building where the turkeys and ducks had slept during the blizzard. I pushed the thought from my head, I am a professional procrastinator and didn't really have plans to devote my time to that just then. But, I gave in and went about scraping out the soiled bedding. About half way done, I happened to glance over and saw something on the other side of the bird encloser I was in. 
I gulped, it had feathers. 
It was my missing turkey girl. I just knew she was dead, after haven fallen down behind a cabinet and stayed there for over a week. I pulled the cabinet out and much to my astonishment found her alive! And more than that, other than a slight limp, she was in excellent health. I put her in with the other birds and she immediately ran to the water and started gulping it down. After a few good meals she was as right as rain. 
I named her Miracle, because I believe she truly would have died without some Divine intervention due to a small, unspoken prayer. 


Blessings - 

~ Aspen 

2 comments:

  1. Awwww, I'm so glad Miracle was found safely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am very glad to have her back. :)

      Blessings -

      ~ Aspen

      Delete