Friday, January 22, 2016

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Star Wars: The Force Awakens


 So, for an early Christmas present, my Mom took all of us to go see Star Wars: The Force Awakens, on opening day, at the very first showing. Wow! It was jammed packed full of avid, hard-core Star Wars fans. Some of them had been sitting there since 8:00 that morning, and the showing didn't even start until 7:30 that evening. Them people crazy man, crazy! Now, if we had been going to see the latest installment of The Hobbit trilogy, heck yeah! I would have been dressed as Gandalf and sat in line for 48hrs. Bring it. But alas--

So, we still had to wait in line for an hour or so before going into the theater, but it wasn't too bad.

Now then, on to my review:

OK, first of all, who else thought from the trailers and the movie poster that the silver/dark storm-trooper was going to be a big deal? Then in the movie they killed her off in like 5 seconds. What's with that? I was kind of excited about her, oh well. It's all a part of the deception.

Kylo Ren's Vaderish costume was so neat! I really loved it, until he took it off. Eck. Creep, creepy bad guy! And the fact that he is Leah and Han's son just makes it that much sadder!



OK, so I'm going to take a moment and make all the hardcore, old time Star Wars fans very very angry. *ahem* I didn't like Han Solo at all until this movie. Yep. Go ahead, throw rocks at me, scream at your computer screen in angry fury. But it's true. I really felt for his character in this movie, and yes, bawled when he died the terrible death by his own son's hand. The touching moments with him and Leah were so sweet, I just wanted to curl up into a ball and sigh happy sighs...


I loved the beginning of the movie with Finn and Poe. But I'll talk about Poe more in a minute...right now I want to talk about Finn.

I am so happy someone finally decided to make a storm trooper with some empathy. So very glad! Seeing the internal struggle that Finn went through, struggling with the dark side and struggling with what he knew to be right, was very well played. I appreciated some of the humor he added to the film, but he also got on my nerves. A lot. I've heard several people describe him as being portrayed as the younger generation of this time, and maybe that's why he gets on my nerves more than he should, because I'm afraid I don't have much love for the attitudes and such of this generation, but that is a whole nother' post.


Rey was a very loveable character and I related in some ways with her, which instantly made her one of my favorite characters. Definitely looking forward to seeing more of her in future films.

And BB-8...all I have to say is: I WANT ONE! His adorable little puppy eyes are adorbs. And that is all.  


Poe was by far my favorite character and I am ecstatic that the next film will be featuring him! I know we didn't get to see as much of him as we did other characters in the film, but the short glimpses of him we did see, I really enjoyed. 

I think one of my favorite parts had to be when Finn helps him escape, and how their relationship grows over such a short time. I love the way Poe brought Finn underneath his wing and befriended him. And I must say, it was weird seeing him play a good character after his role as Prince John in the Russel Crowe Robin Hood. But I liked his character despite that. 


OK, be honest; how many of you gasped with shock when Kylo Ren stabbed Han through the heart?....

  
My heart sank to the floor and my mouth gaped open; resembling this:


And it hurt even worse when Leah feels his presence leave, and she just sits down in inner turmoil and grief. Heart breaking! 


Kylo Ren played his role of a spoiled, bratty, dark villain well. Please tell me I wasn't the only one who thought he acted like a bratty kid, throwing fits and wanting his way, through the entire movie! I'm not? I'm so glad!


This forest scene was so well shot and I really liked the effect and feel it had. I also love how they gave Rey a scene to build on her ever growing powers. We don't realize, neither did Kylo I suspect, just how powerful she is, as inexperienced and untrained as she is. I can't wait to see what some good training will do for her in the future films. 


The only bearable part about Han dying, was that Chewy got to have Rey as a co-pilot. I think I felt sadder for Chewy than I did anyone when Han died.  


Overall I very muchly enjoyed myself and can't wait for the second installment, Rogue One!

What were your thoughts on Star Wars: The Force Awakens? Do tell!


And for an added bonus, here are so pictures of me, Anakin and the storm troopers; just chillin' in the theater hall.















 I've just got one question: how can I apply for a job as a hobbit sized storm-trooper? 

Blessings - 

~ Aspen 

No comments:

Post a Comment