Make Your Own Water Kefir
You may be thinking "what on earth is water kefir?" Well, to put it simply, it's a fermented drink that is crazy good for you.
A list of health benefits of drinking water kefir (courtesy of this homemaker.)
- Strongest natural remedy against any allergy
- Strongest natural antibiotic without side effects
- Treats liver disease
- Treats gallbladder, dissolves gall bladder stones
- Clears the body of salts, heavy metals, radionuclides, and alcoholic products
- Cleans the body of chemical antibiotics
- Treats kidney stones
- Good bacteria in kefir are able to fight off pathogenic microorganisms
- Lowers level of LDL cholesterol
- Cleans the gastrointestinal tract
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Treats gastritis
- Treats pancreatitis
- Treats ulcers
- Prevents and treats colon cancer
- Improves digestion
- Improves the body functions
- Improves the human immune system
- Cures Candida
- Cures hypertension
- Stops growth of cancer cells
- Speeds up healing process
- Treats psoriasis
- Treats eczema
- Treats inflammatory diseases
- Reduces size of tumors
- Treats heart disease
- Reverses calcination of blood vessels
- Clears the blood vessels
- Boosts the bodies energy
- Natural “feel good” food
- Treats lung infections
- Normalizes metabolism thereby can be used as for weight loss
- Cures acne
- Has anti-oxidants and anti-aging properties
- Nourishes hair
- Treats the gum disease parodontosis
- Lessens effects of medicines
- Replenishes body of good bacteria after antibiotic
- Balances the microflora of the body’s digestive system
- Regulates blood pressure
- Lowers blood sugar
- Lowers blood lipid levels or cholesterol and fatty acids
- Treats diarrhea
- Treats constipation
- Promotes bowel movement
- Anti-stress properties
- Treats sleeping disorders
- Treats depression
- Treats attention deficit hyperactivity disorder
- Improves the brains neuro functions like reflexes, memory retention, attention, the five senses
- Reduces flatulence
- Lactic acid fermentation enhances the digestibility of milk based foods. People who cannot otherwise digest milk, can enjoy the vital calcium rich Kefir.
- Treats yeast infection
- Eliminates vaginal odors
- Cures wrinkles
- Treats arthritis
- Treats colitis
- Treats gout
- Cures migranes
- Treats rheumatism
- Treats other stomach disorders
- Detoxifies the body
- Improves protein quality of milk, and enhances absorption and digestion
- Good bacteria manufacture B vitamins such as B3, B6 and folic acid.
- Aids in treating tuberculosis
- Treats stomach cramps
- Treats chronic intestine infections
- Treats liver infections
- Treats asthma
- Treats bronchitis
- Treats sclerosis
- Treats anemia
- Treats hepatitis
- Healing effects on catarrh, digestive nodes, astral nodes, bilious complaints
- Treats leaky gut syndrome
- Prevents metastasis
- Cures bad morning breath
Do you want some yet?????
You do? Well good! Let's make some crazy-good-for-you water kefir!
First off, grab a gallon glass jug, and add in your kefir grains (I think we have almost a cup of grains). Next fill your jug up with a gallon of water (not from your sink, use well water or filtered water). Pour in a cup of organic cane sugar, and half a cup of raisins, or molasses, either one will work. Cover the jug with a cheese cloth or some such thing, and leave overnight. The next morning, replace the cloth with a lid. Let your kefir sit for another 24 hrs or so. Most people brew their kefir water for 48 hrs, but we brew ours for 60 hrs. We find it to be less sweet and more fizzy and bubbly. Yum!
Here is what the kefir grains look like.
We use filtered water to make ours.
Here we have our water, and kefir grains.
Add in your cup of organic cane sugar.
A note on the sugar: I try and avoid any type of sugar (even if it be organic cane sugar), as my body does not tolerate it well. But when you add your sugar to the kefir water, the grains eat up the sugar and produces gases (that's where the fizz and bubbles come from). When you put your lid on the jug, it contains all that gas and it ferments. Therefore, when you drink the kefir water, the sugars from the sugar, raisins (or molasses) have been eaten up, and you're just consuming the bi product with all the wonderful health benefits.
I ran out of raisins, so I used molasses.
Put your cheese cloth on, let it sit overnight, replace the cloth the next day with a lid, let ferment for another 24 hrs, or if your like us, for 60 hrs. What ever suits your fancy and your taste buds.
Once it's ready, strain off your raisins, or if you're using molasses you can just pour off the water kefir into another jug, being careful to contain your grains, then repeat steps and enjoy your water kefir and all of it's crazy-good-for-ya health benefits!
Do you drink water kefir?