Saturday, March 1, 2014

Gluten Free: Brownies

Gluten Free: Brownies


Guess what I had for breakfast this morning? Brownies. True fact my friends, but you know what? I didn't feel guilty eating them, not even one little tiny bit! Because they are so healthy! 

 It seems that I have yet another recipe to share with y'all! Aren't you excited? I am! Want to know why? Because this recipe has to do with chocolate! Interested yet? Not quiet? OK fine, it's also gluten free and extremely healthy! See, I told you'd be interested! I found this recipe via a dear friend and decided to make it yesterday morning.

(I'm doing it the easy way and just copied the directions from the blog linked at the bottom of the post).

 Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Wet Ingredients:
5 large eggs
1/3 cup melted unsalted butter, (you can also use coconut oil or ghee if you prefer)
3/4 cup maple syrup or honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk (or coconut milk)

Procedure:

1. Preheat your oven at 350 deg F.
2. Whisk together the dry ingredients until thoroughly mixed.  Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, blend together the wet ingredients using your mixer.
4. Combine the wet and dry ingredients together using your mixer until they are well blended.
5. Line a baking pan with parchment paper or grease it if you prefer and pour all the batter. Bake at 25 minutes.


Cocoa, coconut flour, salt, baking soda.


Dump your dry ingredients in a bowl.


Whisk together.


Grab another bowl and break your 5 eggs into it along with the other wet ingredients.


Mix well.


Set that bowl aside and prepare your pan. I melted butter into mine, but you could use coconut oil.


Dump your wet and dry ingredients together and beat well. The dough should be thick and gooey.


Pour into your prepared pan.


A friend suggested I add some chopped walnuts to them for some extra yumminess (for what ever reason my computer doesn't think yumminess is a word. Clearly, my computer doesn't know what it's talking about!).


The directions say to bake them for 25 minutes at 350F, but mine didn't take that long. So keep an eye on them, we don't want a bunch of D & B Browines do we? (a.k.a Double Burned Brownies)


Once cooked, remove it from oven and let cool a few minutes before cutting.


Side note on this recipe: My brownies came out with a wonderful texture, but they were not quite sweet enough. 


I thought perhaps I would make a chocolate sauce and drizzle over them to add some more sweetness but...


a friend suggested I make an icing by melting together butter and honey.


I took her advice and tried the icing on the brownies. Wow. It was the perfect accompaniment to the brownies! It gave it just enough sweetness and it just combined all the flavors and made everything melt in your mouth.


So, if your brownies turn out not so sweet, never fear! Icing is here! 



Recipe courtesy of:
http://www.coconutflourrecipes.org/coconut-flour-brownies.html?fb_action_ids=10152246021197534&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=[564454580294727]&action_type_map=[%22og.likes%22]&action_ref_map=[]

Blessings - 

~ Aspen

2 comments:

  1. Umm, I had brownies for breakfast too. And the recipe I used is almost identical to this one. Weird, no? Great minds think alike!

    Reyna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is weird but awesome!! I barely ate anything all day except um brownies and water kefir! heehee

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete