Saturday, May 31, 2014

Meatie Update: Week 5

Meatie Update: Week 5


I bet you're wondering where on earth the Meatie Update: Week 4 went, huh? Well there wasn't one. The day they turned four weeks old we had 5 1/2 inches of rain (spread out over several days) and I was otherwise occupied....OK fine I was splashing around in the puddles and singing in the rain. So after walking several hours in the pouring rain, getting very wet indeed, and returning home six inches deep in mud, I was completely exhausted and spent the rest of the day caring for the poor wet critters, who were less than thrilled about all this wet stuff falling from the sky (I think the chickens thought the sky was falling), excluding the ducks and geese who were overjoyed at the sudden arrival of hundreds of puddles and gallons of mud!


As you can see, the Meaties got moved to a bigger and a better pen this week. After all of the rain we had, I was determined to get them out of the front yard and into a bigger space so they could run around. I already had a fence built around the compost pile so all that was needed was to patch up a few holes that the Meaties could easily escape through.


I made an easy-open gate at the front for easy access. The Meaties now wait patiently (or maybe not so patiently) at it while I bring their food. Ok, actually they are complete pig hogs and throw a hissy fit until I bring them their supper. 


We stood several sings up for shade. After these pictures were taken we decided it would be safer to lay them against their dog house for shade.


The jungle jim - the Meaties now have full access to a chicken play ground. They spend many hours, usually during the early morning and late evening, playing and roosting on them. Mostly they just like to play "king of the stump".



Their nighttime quarters. I have to make sure their pen is wired up real tight at night since they aren't up by the house anymore and night prowlers have been known to come up to the back gate before, which is right beside the Meatie pen. Yipes!


The Meaties really are excellent foragers, if given the chance. 


We call this the naked chick. This poor guy missed out when they were giving out the feathers.


I took these pictures Friday (five weeks) and then I took more today and I swear they've all grown since yesterday!


The first priority of a chicken, when given a spot full of moist dirt, is to take a dirt bath. The Meaties did just that and cleaned themselves up after the cold and rainy spell we had.


They are back to their white and fluffy selves.


Three of the Easter chicks that reside with the Meaties (who will probably end up in the freezer..maybe...) are growing fast too! However, despite being several weeks older than the Meaties, they are all the same size! The Meaties being slightly bigger of course.


Meaties have big feet, in case you ever wanted to know. Their feet actually match their body size.


A favorite napping spot, an old pallet.


Dinner time!!!


Rusty keeping guard over his Meaties. 




You can see the general size of their pen in this picture, give or take a little space.


I'm struck with how sweet and docile the Meaties are. I'm going to have a hard time butchering them, so that's why I'm making the guys do it!



Remember I said Meaties are excellent foragers? The first day in their new run the ate all of the grass and munched on the mesquite tree leaves as well!




A nice big fella.


Scratching around in the compost pile. 




They were very curious as to what I was holding in my hand (the camera) and wanted to get as close as possible, to better check it out.


...


Caught in action!


Nap time after dinner.




This gives you an idea on the general size of the Meaties at this point. Males tend to be a littler bigger whereas the females tend to be a little smaller.


A full view of the Meatie's run.


And I'll leave y'all with that! I gotta get back to my scratchin! ;)


To be continued next week - 



Blessings - 

~ Aspen

4 comments:

  1. So when are y'all making Chicken 'n dumplings? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three more weeks. So they'll be 8 wks old. However, if we don't think they are big enough by then, we might wait until 10 wks.

    Blessings -

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are growing incredibly fast love their not so little dinosaur looking feet. Thanks for sharing.

    Blessings,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are! They're doing fantastic! Your welcome sugar. : )

      Blessings -

      ~ Aspen

      Delete