Friday, April 11, 2014

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chunk Biscuits

Cream Cheese Chocolate Chunk Biscuits


There is an interesting story behind these biscuits. It all started out with mold...yep you heard me correctly. Mold. As I was cooking some toast the other morning for breakfast, I went to grab our container of cream cheese and to my horror (yes, my complete and absolute horror) found it spotted with mold! Ack! Noooo! You cannot do this to my precious cream cheese! How could you? 
So I resolved to use up all of the cream cheese that day, before the mold further invaded. No, I didn't eat all the cream cheese all by my onesies. Instead I made biscuits out of them. Actually, they were supposed to be chocolate chip cookies, but they didn't turn out quite as I had planned. I more or less followed our age old Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe:
2 1/2 c. flour
1t. soda
1/2 t. salt
1 c. butter
1 c. honey
1 t. vanilla
2 eggs
2 c.  chips
1 c. nuts (optional)

Mix and bake at 350F until desired texture is achieved.  

Well that's all fine and dandy IF you follow the above recipe, but we all know how good I excel at following directions so I modified the recipe to my own devices. ;)
I added in about 2 cups (or perhaps alot more...) of cream cheese along with some extra eggs, and since I didn't, yes didn't, have any chocolate chips, so I simply made my own. I sorta made this chocolate recipe up out of my head in a moment's notice so I don't have the exact measurements to give you because it's all *knocks on my head* up there, and it's not easily assessable. But here are the basic ingredients. The amount of each depends on your taste buds and how much chocolate you want..okay maybe want isn't the right word....NEED, better fits I think. 
Healthy Homemade Chocolate
cocoa powder
honey
coconut oil
vanilla

I start out by melted the coconut oil and honey together then whisking in the cocoa powder and vanilla. Then pour it in a shallow dish and let freeze until hard. I wanted chocolate chunks so I just kind of sliced mine into odd shaped pieces and tossed them into the biscuit dough.  


My frozen chocolate.


Dollops of dough ready to be shoved into the oven. 

Side note: I buttered my pans, just on the off-chance that the biscuits would stick. 


I made two recipes of cookie, biscuit, thingies so I ended up with lots of cookies. Your thinking, how is this a bad thing? My thoughts exactly. ;)

Go big or go home, I say. 


While they were first baking I was afraid they were going to turn into big puddles of goop and be crispy chips or something of that sort. But nope, they poofed up and baked into sweet, soft, dense biscuits.


Usually, whenever you bake with honey the final product will assume the taste of that honey and give off a fragrant honey smell. I used mint honey in mine, so the chocolate and honey smell entwining together = awesome smells.


I'm calling these biscuits, because the British call cookies, biscuits over there. And these resemble what we call biscuits over here so .....are you confused yet?


Feeling a bit wild? Yes? Me too! Then go make this Cream Cheese Chocolate Chunk Biscuits! Go on, get to it! 


Be sure to enjoy these with a spot 'o tea! 

Blessings - 

~ Aspen

No comments:

Post a Comment