Friday, January 31, 2014

Handle With Care - LIVE ANIMALS

Handle With Care - LIVE ANIMALS

Our local post office called me while I was headed back to the house from doing the morning chores. They told me that our mail lady had a box that said it had Live Animals in it...WHAT?? Momma and I were stumped, neither one of us had ordered a critter that we could recollect. However, upon questioning Stockton, we had forgotten he'd ordered 1,000 Meal Worms off Amazon with his "Mouse Money". He is the Official Mouse Exterminator, and keeps an ever growing chart of the mice he's caught on the refrigerator door. He gets paid $.50 cents a mouse, or something like that and can either spend the money in cash, or he can use it as internet money. 
On this particular morning, I was all in a huff to get some hatching eggs sent to a lady in VA, so between that and the other morning chores, we were all rushing around like crazy people. But, I'm proud to say I got my packaged shipped off and we safely got the Mealies back home. Are you ready to meet them? 


The sender packaged the worms in a cloth bag, that was stuffed with newspaper. As soon as he opened the box you could hear all sorts of worm noises coming from the bag..and no I'm not sure what noises worms make...but they were making some! 


Upon opening the bag we discovered that the Mealies were crawling all over the place.


Prior to opening the package, we set up their container with brown rice flour, oats, and an apple (that's how they get their water, from the moisture of fruits and vegetables). 


Rusty, who was inside at the time (actually, he always seems to be inside...) took great interest in all the rattling of sacks and especially the apple in the Mealies container. ; )


Look at all the Mealies..


They were pretty cold this morning, as the air was chilly, but quickly warmed up being in the same room as the fire. 


They are as happy as a larks..except please don't tell them that they might became lizard food in the near future! 


I have kept a secret from you, my dear readers. While we're on the subject of worms, I think I should mention that I've had a ever-growing colony of Meal Worms in my closet for the better part of 6 months now. Yes, I admit it. Now you know one of my darkest secret.

Blessings - 

The Worm Hoarder

5 comments:

  1. So, what does Stockton do with the mice he catches? And also, who does he sell them to? I think my younger brother Ben would have fun doing something like that, and to be honest, I would too;)

    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe!! Believe it or not, you're the second person I've met that is 'raising' meal worms... Another friend 'raises' them to feed her pet gecko. Quite hilarious, actually, because she has them locked away in her closet. Seems like an odd place for a worm to be, but maybe I'm just old fashioned in thinking they belong outside. ;-) lol!
    However, it is a great idea, really, and I give my best regards to Stockton in this new venture. He is quite the business man. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah - He tosses them outside, or occasionally if one got caught in the trap but is still alive...he'll let it go. He is soooo tender hearted, bless him. Who does he sell the mice or worms to?? Which do you mean?

    Sarah H - I shall. When I told him I was doing a blog post on his worms, his face brightened up and he said "I'm going to be famous!!".
    I've known several people who tried to raise their mealies outside, but had terrible trouble with Coons coming up and eating them, bugs getting into the container, or their poultry finding out where their owner had their 'treats' stored. ; ) They are very temperature sensitive, and will not grow and reproduce well in cold weather, so it's best to keep them as warm as possible.

    Blessings -

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  4. How does he get money for the mice? Sorry for not being more specific.

    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  5. He gets money for all the mice he catches in his traps.

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete