Thursday, January 9, 2014

Homemade Butter

Homemade Butter
I don't know about you folks, but I love butter. I smear it on anything and every thing that I can get my hands on, not just a small slice mind, I'm talkin' a big hunk of butter. Just ask my family, they can testify. Maybe I should rename this blog "random rumblings of a butter addict"..or maybe not. Where was I? Oh yes, butter. Let's get down to business, shall we?

If you are staring at the picture below, and your mouth is watering...you need serious help. Like major help. There is only one thing that will cure you of this illness. Butter. And LOTS of it.



First of, go milk the cow, strain off your milk, and allow milk to cool in refrigerator for several hours to allow the cream to rise to the top.

Can you see the cream line?


Get a jar ready, and dip off all the cream you can into the awaiting jar. 



Make sure you choose a jar that is fairly big, you want it to be about half full of cream, and the rest empty space, so you can shake it really well. 

Below, my jar is filled about 3/4ths full..it took my butter quite a bit longer to make, because it didn't have enough room to slosh around.


Screw on your lid very tightly. You don't want to dribble any cream over you floor. Of course, I wouldn't know anything about that dribbling on the floor stuff. ; ) Nope, not me.


Here's where the fun begins!
 I would suggest you stick in an hour long movie, get comfortable, you may be there awhile.

What are you waiting for? Get to shaking!!


After a bit you should start to notice some thick creamy substance rise to the top, keep shaking, you ain't done yet!


A few minutes later you should see a chunk of yellowy goodness separated from the buttermilk..that's your butter!

Note: I made two different batches of butter, one turned out with a much softer consistency, the other turned into butterballs. I think I shook it for a bit too long. Both batches turned out absolutely delicious tho, no matter the differences in consistency!   


Dip off your butterballs, and place them in a bowl.



Don't through out that buttermilk now! You can make all sorts of delicious things out of it.



Now, give that butter a water bath. You heard me, get to it!


I used a rubber spatula to smoosh all the excess buttermilk out of the butter. Keep dumping out your buttermilk water, and refilling it with fresh water until the water stays clear and clean.



Now you're left with a big blob of butter. 


Now, mix in a little Sea Salt to taste. 

  Now what you ask? Well now, get yourself in that kitchen and whip up a couple loaves of fresh homemade bread to go with that homemade butter! That's what.


If you cannot figure out what to do next, well you need help.


Have y'all ever made homemade butter? How'd it turn out? 

Blessings - 

~ Aspen



6 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks delicious! Yes, I have made butter before and it turned out a lot like yours. It was yummy and fun to make!
    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the major differences I could tell from the homemade vs. store bought organic butter was the richness of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum!!! I absolutely LOVE homemade butter. And making it is lots of fun, too! Or, maybe not 'fun', but 'satisfying'.. :-) Looks really yummy! I've never had my batches turn into actually butterballs, so does that mean I'm not shaking it long enough??
    My butter has always turned out really yummy. I'm waiting for the day that I can make it enough that we don't have to buy store bought... ick. Once you've had the good stuff, it sure is hard to go back to the other!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that is my dream too! To be able to make enough of our own butter, cream cheese, cheese, so we don't have to buy it. Yep, that would be awesome!

    That was the first time I've had it make butterballs, so I have no clue. Both batches turned out just fine so ??

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have ALWAYS wanted to do this !!!! now, are ya gunna let me get milk from you ?????? lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susy, you can easily make yourself some butter using store-bought cream. : ) I'm afraid we don't have much milk to spare. ; )

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete