Tuesday, January 28, 2014

They Are Growing Up!

They Are Growing Up!

My Peababies are growing up so quickly! Why, it seems like just yesterday they were tiny peachicks, living inside the house, in a brooder, and taking rides with us to town (yes, I said rides to town, in my lap as a matter of fact..but more on that later). 


Tulsa and Prince were shipped to me from Oklahoma, as eggs.


They were the only peachicks to hatch.


I hadn't planned on keeping any peafowl, as I'd had bad experience raising them in the past.


But it seems I was meant to have Peafowl. I cannot imagine life on the ranch without them. They are stooges, and I have three of them. Who needs TV?


Tulsa was the first to hatch, she was all by herself and I had no other babies of any species to keep her company. 


We had to run some errands in town that afternoon and I just couldn't bare to think of my peababy being left at home alone.


So, she came along for the ride.

Tulsa: "Mommy, did I have to ride in a car seat??"



I don't know who enjoyed the outing more, me or her?


She spent the afternoon asleep on my lap, cuddled up in my shirt, or nestled under my chin. She would cry bloody murder if I stopped petting her for one second. Yes, she was spoiled from the moment of hatching.

When we arrived back home, Prince was riding on the automatic egg turners in the incubator.


Tulsa was so overjoyed to have another feathered creature to play with! Although, she still liked her "momma cuddles". ;)


Tulsa & Prince spent their "youth" in my lap, playing outside with a couple Call ducklings I had at the time, and getting spoiled. Hardly any of their time was actually spent in the brooder. They were usually always riding around on my shoulder and following me around the house like puppies.


Several weeks after Tulsa and Prince hatched, I received a call from a friend of mine who raised Peafowl, and he informed me that one of his peahens had hatched out three peachicks, and said he had a lady coming to pick up two of them, but told me she didn't want all three, and did I want the third one. Being the squishy hearted teddybear that I am, I of course said yes.


A couple days later, I brought Tamina home to meet the gang.

They are the perfect trio of peababies anyone could ever ask for.


I've said this once, but it bares repeating.

I LOVE their cute "tiaras" that hover atop their head. It just makes my heart melt. 


I think it's just the cutest thing, like, ever. Really, I do.


Not to mention the rest of them is pretty cute too.

Is it just me, or is Prince posing for me? I think he knows he is beautiful.



I just adore Tulsa's orange and green feathers on her head. You should see how her feathers just light on fire when the sun shines on them,


Here recently it has come to my attention that my peababies are growing up. Pretty soon they will be going off to college, getting married, and starting families of their own! *sniffle*


Until that time, I'm going to enjoy my three stooges.


Blessings - 

~ Aspen


2 comments:

  1. Oh, they are sooo beautiful!!!! I think it would be so much fun to have some peafowl! Are they hard to take care of?

    ~Sarah~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah - No, they are easy keepers. They just need a good sized pen that is covered (they can fly like nobodies business!), tall roosts, as when your peacock is full grown his train will be 6 ft long, at least. He needs lots of room. Oh, one thing, if you have neighbors close by they might get annoyed with your peafowl screeching in the night, in the morning, during the day, when they see a bug...etc. ; ) I like to have honking contests with mine. The peahens have this really funny car honk noise, but sometimes they just scream, for no apparent reason other than they can.

    Blessings -

    ~ Aspen

    ReplyDelete